How to use Automatic Tellers Safely
You can use Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) easily, quickly and
safely, by following these important tips.
* As you approach the ATM, be on the alert for any suspicious persons
or circumstances. If you observe or sense something wrong or suspicious,
DO NOT USE THE MACHINE! IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE AREA. Come back at another
time or use another ATM at a different location.
* Have your ATM Access Card ready and in your hand when you approach
the machine. Do not get to the ATM and then take your Access Card out of
your wallet or purse. By having your Access Card in your hand and ready
to use, your ATM transaction becomes quicker and safer.
GIVE DISTANCE TO OTHER CUSTOMERS
* When standing in line to use the ATM DO NOT STAND DIRECTLY BEHIND
the person actually using the machine. Allow adequate distance so your
fellow customers may conduct their transaction privately and
SHIELD KEYBOARD WITH YOUR BODY
* Be careful that no one can see you punch your Personal Identification
Number (PIN) into the ATM. Use your body to "shield" the ATM keyboard as
you punch your PIN into the machine. You can easily "shield the
keyboard" by covering it with your body in a sort of
"hugging-like-manner." Once you have "shielded" the keyboard, you can
safely punch in your PIN without another observing.
LEAVING THE ATM
* DO NOT COUNT OR VISUALLY EXPOSE ANY MONEY you received from the ATM.
IMMEDIATELY put it into your pocket or purse and leave the ATM.
* When leaving the ATM carefully watch for anyone FOLLOWING OR
* Always keep a safe distance between you and any
* If you are still being followed, go IMMEDIATELY to the nearest
business, store, coffee shop or place where people are.
* If you are being
followed by a car, IMMEDIATELY drive to the nearest Police or Fire
Station or other places where people are.